You may wonder if you have a spirit guide, or if your guides have ever helped you. I say YES to both! Here’s how to talk with them at will.
First of all, not every spirit you encounter is a “guide.” Spirits are at varying levels of evolution, so it’s important to choose wisely.
For most of us asking for a guide, our energy and intentions are such that we attract positive, helpful spirits. Though I believe that grounding and meditating before you ask for any intuitive insight is important because like attracts like. It’s common to ask for help from a place of fear, pain or confusion, and that does not generate the best results!
The ideal is to ask from an open place of sincerity, humility and true desire for growth. But of course it’s human to feel fear, confusion and pain. So how do you shift your energy when you are in one of those places?
You may have certain things that work for you: exercise, positive affirmations, talking to a friend or getting a good night’s sleep are great things to try. Meditation is also super helpful and if you’d like some support with that, check out the “Meditation 101” class starting in April.
So let’s say you’ve gotten to a place of sincere openness and readiness to talk to your spirit guides. Now what? Here’s what I suggest:
- Sit in a quiet, comfortable place with your feet flat on the floor (for grounding) and your back straight. Check in with your body, and allow your breathing to slow and deepen.
- Imagine a grounding cord connecting your hips to the center of the earth. This could be a big tree trunk, waterfall, column or light beam. Exhale and settle even deeper into your body.
- This is not a channeling exercise. You are about to talk to your guide while remaining fully present in your own body.
- Now, imagine a stage a few feet out in front of you. Put out the intention that you’re calling in the most evolved guide possible, perhaps posing a specific question for this guide.
- Once your intention is clear and your heart is open, imagine your guide stepping onto this stage. Your guide may look like a person, an animal, a flash of light or something else. There are no “rules.”
- While you may sense your guide’s gender, name or culture, there is no need to see any of this. Since this being is in-between bodies, s/he is not tied to any of this and has surely had many names and lived in many places.
- If you get specifics, you’re not “wrong” either. Your guide may choose to give you specifics to assist you in recognizing him or her. For example, you may have had a past life together in China where this guide was male, and seeing him that way gives you a sense of his energy and helps you trust him.
- Besides “seeing” your guide, you might hear messages, know something or just get a feeling. Honor however you pick up information! If you’re not sure, make it up. In fact, you’re probably already sensing something that you’ve dismissed. Pretend it’s true and ask for more. Go with it like a child telling a story.
- Take another minute to ask your guide for any specific message for you now.
- When you feel complete, imagine your guide stepping off the stage and going along their way. I like to see a beam of light taking them along their path. Once they’ve left, imagine that your stage disappears.
- Return your attention to your body and breath, then open your eyes.
Was that fun? You can practice this anytime you need guidance, and your connection will get stronger over time.
Also, be aware that your guides sometimes pop into your daily life right when you need them. Books falling off the shelf, serendipitous meetings with people, or a little voice telling to to take the streets instead of the freeway can all be signs that your guides are sparkling your path with love and support. Be open and enjoy!
If you’d like to deepen your experience with your guides as well as your own spiritual journey, come to the “Meet Your Spirit Guides” workshop in either CA or FL. Or join the “Awaken Your Mediumship” Teleclass Program starting 4/22!